Guidance for settings wishing to be accredited
The setting (home-based, day care, nursery and/or school) should:
- be a member of the Montessori Schools Association (MSA)
- be established for at least 18 months before applying for accreditation and have been inspected by Ofsted (or relevant national inspection body) at least once since becoming established/in new ownership/changing premises. In some circumstances we can accredit sooner, such as when a new setting is part of a chain/provision which has one or more settings that are already MEAB accredited
- follow the EYFS, or other national framework *
- be committed to the delivery of high quality Montessori education for children from at least one of these age-groups: birth to two/three, two/three to five/six, six to nine, or nine to twelve
- have Montessori qualified staff in the areas of the provision seeking accreditation, supported by practitioners committed to continuing professional development. The accreditation may apply just to the areas of the provision where the Montessori qualified staff work if other areas of the setting are not recognised as following the Montessori approach
- have a prepared learning environment (both indoors and outside) that enables children to learn following Montessori’s description of children’s natural path of development
- trust and respect children’s need to learn and develop during the two and a half to three hour work cycle which facilitates self-initiated and free-flow learning opportunities in all areas of the curriculum, indoors and outside
- be committed to working closely with parents
- be prepared to commit to the accreditation as a means of ongoing professional development of the setting to which the whole school team contributes.
Receiving accreditation carries the expectation that settings will continue to develop and to work on the issues highlighted in the accreditation reports, and will remain committed to working with MEAB.
*In the event that an accredited setting fails to meet its legal obligations and statutory requirements, its MEAB status may be suspended until such time that these standards are met.