Marlborough House marks new era for Montessori St Nicholas
Montessori St Nicholas will make the big move to Marlborough House on Monday 23 April in what will mark a new era for the organisation.
Marlborough House is situated in St John’s Wood in north-west London and just down the road from the well-known Abbey Road crossing made famous by the Beatles.
The house was built between 1850 and 1879 in the early developments of the St John’s Wood area. Research has confirmed that the building was substantially added to during the 1870s by the then owner, Sir Thomas Henry Huxley, who is commemorated with a blue plaque on the building facade.
Sir Thomas Huxley was a famous English biologist and a contemporary of Charles Darwin. He was affectionately known as ‘Darwin’s Bulldog’ for his advocacy of Darwin’s theory of evolution. The biologist moved to the house in December 1872 where he enlarged ‘a small house into something ample and comfortable’.
He had a wide circle of contemporaries from the scientific community and would regularly hold Royal Society meetings and lectures at the house. Darwin’s archives show that he and Sir Thomas were close friends and Darwin was a regular visitor to the house.
From April 23, Marlborough House will become the home of Montessori St Nicholas. The Charity, Montessori Centre International, Montessori Schools Association and the Montessori Evaluation and Accreditation Board will all be based at the house. There will be three Montessori classrooms, student common room, staff room and a boardroom which will be available for hiring.
Montessori holds regular open events where prospective students can find out more about the courses and tour the facilities.
We will be hosting an extended open morning on Saturday 2 June, 10.30am – 1.30pm, where guests can visit the house and hear from our Head of Academic Programmes, Penny Johns, about our range of courses.
For media: Please contact our Marketing and PR Officer, Jordon-Lee Squibb on email@example.com